Private SUP Lessons | Weekly SUP Class Tues. + Sat. AM | SUP Rentals Available 7 Days/Week

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Top 3 Post-SUP Soreness Soothers

Getting my body moving on a paddleboard is so gratifying because of the resistance I feel when the ocean does her thing to my board + paddle. Whether we care to admit it or not, our muscles long for activity. They thrive on movement in all degrees because they get to expand and become more vital. I feel stronger and more fulfilled as soon as the pesky pent up tension of meeting deadlines, worrying about the people I care about and feeling uncertain about the future suddenly disappears the moment my paddle meets the water. On an emotional level, elation occurs as well because I'm doing something INCREDIBLE for my wellbeing.

A total win.

Being active has wonderful advantages, a crap ton of amazing benefits, actually, (which I'll save for another post). But it also has one disadvantage that we all are familiar with: sore muscles.  For as long as I can remember, I tried outsmarting soreness. Actually, no. I'd ignore its existence but found it difficult when I was on the floor screaming at the wall, while my two pooches looked at me judgmentally. Yep, I'm a wimp but mostly I just want soreness to stop.  Endless research proved ridding stiff muscles wasn't realistic - in a natural-sense, anyway. Soothing them is definitely within reach. Along the way, I picked up on practices that were passed down from my wise mother and discovered through the trusty internet. Given that you're out there working out, reaching your fitness goals, I know you're in a very intimate "soul-mate-esque" relationship with soreness. In which, I've compiled my top 3 post-SUP soreness soothers to pamper your muscles and give you strength to get up off the floor and deal with...ahem, reality. Check them out below!

#1 Post-SUP Soreness Soothers: Epsom Salt Bath.
According to Livestrong.com, "Magnesium is a primary component of Epsom salt. It is a mineral that the body needs and, unlike other minerals, is absorbed through the skin as you soak in the bath. The mineral helps relax skeletal muscles by flushing lactic acid buildup in the muscles, which may occur during physical exertion.." This is a fancy way of saying: there's a mineral in the stuff that will pamper your achin' muscles. Simply pick up a half gallon of epsom salt from your local drugstore for a few bucks and pour a cup in your warm bath water. 

To make this even more luxurious (which your body will surely appreciate) is to take this tip from my girl @bossbabediaries (check her out on Instagram for girl-power wisdom) who added her favorite essential oils: lavender, eucalyptus, and tea tree -PLUS, a bit of bath cleanser for bubbles! Genius! (I'll be trying this tonight to soothe my achin' muscles from my recent ocean kayaking experience!)  

Keep in mind, there is no exact science to the additions you place in your bath salt mix. Be your own chemist and make your favorite smelling concoction and let your muscles be soothed. 

#2 Post-SUP Soreness Soothers: A Candle.
I know, it's not something you apply to your body, but I find when I light a candle while I'm taking a bath I'm instantly taken into a further state of relaxation, which helps repair my muscles quicker. My favorite soy-candle company is Slo Burn Candle Co. You can check them out at www.SloBurnCandles.com. My favorite scent is "You Are My Main Beach" - it's a heavenly blend of coconut and hawaiian suntan lotion! MmMmmM....

#3 Post-SUP Soreness Soothers: Heat Pad
Stubborn muscle pain needs a hug. A heating pad is AHHH-mazing and soothing post-SUPing- or for any vigorous workout for that matter. While I've contemplated purchasing an actual heating pad that can heat for long stretches of time at various levels of heat, I'm old school. I made my own. (I would photograph what it looks like but it's camera shy from all the times I've overheated it. Whoops!)

It's simple to make! Find your least favorite long sock, pour rice until it reaches about 3/4 of the way up, tie a knot at the top and throw it in the microwave for a minute and a half.  It only cost me just a few buck too. If you have the raw materials, why not make one yourself? They last a long time!  

Now, I'm curious, which top 3 post-SUP soreness soothers, are you most likely to try? Have you tried any before? Do you have tips that work well for you? Let us know in the comment section below- it'll surely help us all experiencing muscle soreness! Are you ready to take your fitness level to a more fun and gratifying level this year? Sign up for a private SUP lesson with me in the Redondo Beach harbor! Find the yellow obnoxious button at the top of my website and pick a day we can hang and get you started! 

Until next week....

Lots of LOVE + Sun,

Amanda
Your Beachonista 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...