Private SUP Lessons | Weekly SUP Class Tues. + Sat. AM | SUP Rentals Available 7 Days/Week

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Oh, Hey!! I'm Officially a WPA Certified SUP Instructor!



oh hey!! good news, beachonista: I'm officially a World Paddle Association Certified Stand Up Paddle Board Instructor!  

I received this exquisite certificate through Paddle Into Fitness, which was instructed by the brilliant Gillian Gibree, a Roxy athlete who is a professional Stand Up Paddle Boarder and Yoga Instructor with a multitude of degrees and worldwide water sport achievements.  


I can't believe I am celebrating the success of completing this certification program!!  On the outside looking in, this achievement seems manageable and easy to attain.  But for me, it's been a process of evolution.  Purifying my old ideas and ways of earning a living, in addition to moving outside of my comfort zone has required me to update my perspective and fire up my drive in order to move forward.  

My mom always taught me to follow my heart and to be faithful to my dreams (as she made her life an example of those principles).  While I knew that to be true, I've also felt the pressures of securing a "good" job to make sure I could pay my bills and put food on the table.  

An inner battle occurs when you're comfortably, comfortable in the "known" BUT your heart is roaring beneath the chambers, yearning to create something meaningful in the world.  

I suspect most everyone who has courageously stepped forward with a dream has experienced this inner tug-o-war and tangoed with resistance, self-doubt, fear, stepping outside of their comfort zone and taking a leap of faith into the "unknown." 


Meet My Fear. Can't say I've ever completed any kind of ocean training before. Not because the programs lacked in my area. There were plenty! I just wasn't inspired to engage in something physically demanding. I'm the kind of girl that enjoys effortlessly gliding through life and waves, alike. ;) In fact, the only time I came close to doing something remotely taxing was "Junior Lifeguards" when I was 12 years old. But, somehow I ducked out of that and now the mere thought of water training makes me sweat....profusely.  

Awful images of being unsuccessful came to mind accompanied by some serious self-doubt: "What if I can't do it? What if I suck? What if I embarrass myself??! What if I don't get my certificate? My business will be over." (insert monkey-covering-his-eyes emoji here) 


"It's okay to be scared.  Being scared means you're about to do something really, really brave." 

Lo and behold, the meat of this course involved water safety training.  One drill in particular was water rescues.  Part of the drill is to save an unconscious victim from the ocean using your SUP.  Did I mention both days rained hard with blustering winds?? That's not ideal SUP conditions. 

[[Insert more sweat here.]] 

All I could do was grab a handful of courage from the non-existent pocket of my spring suit. (Yeah, spring suit! Where was my fullsuit?? Forgot to pack it. I froze.) I paddled out to my partner (who was playing the unconscious victim), dove into the water, flipped my paddle board upside down, grabbed the victim, drapped her across my board, to then climb back on my board. I strategically secured her arms on my board while I leaned back to fall into the water so my board could flip right-side up with victim securely transitioning to the top as well. My next move? Swing the victim's legs fully on board, to then lay on top of her and paddle back to safety. 

Did you catch all that?? LOL


"Everything you ever wanted is on the other side of fear." 

At first this was way outside of my comfort zone. There is nothing comforting about flipping around the ocean in a highly-charged situation.  My reluctance made it difficult for me and my partner to trust that we were really going to land on the top of the board while the board turned from the bottom side back to the top.  At least that's how I felt! But after 50,000 tries, we got it down! Hooray! You would think other things like learning how to teach a lesson or the WPA final exam would've scared me more. But, nope. Just water rescues. Okay, I'm lying. Those things worried me too.  But not as much. 

As a result of my nerve-wracking experience, it dawned on me that I'm growing. evolving. And becoming the person I need to facilitate this dream of mine. Of course I'm going to feel awkward and out of my element- I'm doing something BIG! Now as a World Paddle Association Certified Stand Up Paddle Board Instructor, I'm thrilled to have grown through this to provide you with a pleasurable and safe Stand Up Paddleboarding  experience with my newly equipped knowledge to provide lessons!  If you are interested in booking lessons with me, please email me at Amanda@TheBeachonista.com!  In the meantime....if you find yourself teetering with the idea of following your dream, GO FOR IT.  Have you stopped due to resistance? Start. Again. And again. And again. Continue on despite the fear -- because... the world NEEDS what you've got.  Ok? Ok. :)

Much love to you. Until next time.... xxx

Hugs + Hearts,

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Major props for this huge stepping stone!! Congratulations again! ~_~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mary!!! It feels really nice to reach this point. I am so excited to get started. :) :) I appreciate the love and for you stopping by! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...