Private SUP Lessons | Weekly SUP Class Tues. + Sat. AM | SUP Rentals Available 7 Days/Week

Monday, April 4, 2016

Beach Space: Twinkle Lights & Balloons

Hey Beachonista! If there was a part of my life that I ALWAYS wanted to blog about but have held back it would be: interior design & interior decorating. This passion has been engrained in my being to the point where the sheer act of transforming leftover party favors into decor thrills me to no end. :)  

It's the kind of love that makes me forget to check my phone for hours because I'm tip-toeing atop the ladder, hanging curtains at the perfect height with just enough distance to make my window appear larger. (More about this design trick in another post!) 

Or the kind of excitement that happily brings me nose-deep in multiple fabrics, comparing and contrasting an array of blues to find the right one for my new chair. 

Furthermore, I've spent several years studying Interior Design at The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, which fuels my desire to share design-inspired posts here as well! 

All in all, I'm just passionate about beautiful spaces.  

With that said. Welcome to MY FIRST interior decor post  - "Beach Space: Twinkle Lights & Balloons!"        


It may sound strange but spaces kinda speak to me. I take in the landscape, then, suddenly, it'll lead me to a design idea. Literally, I was sitting in my room when I kinda heard my little "design sidekick" (as I like to call her), say: "Hang your twinkle lights."  It was so subtle and seemed so insignificant that I brushed it off the first two times.  By the third time, I gave in.  As I hung them, I watched my room transform into a more delightful and exciting space.  And, what's even better is  I already had them in the garage! Which means, I didn't spend any money. How great is that?? 

Then, I found a string of star lights (my grandmother used to display in her garden every 4th of July) tucked in my drawer waiting to be hung in a special place.  Since they are so colorful and fun, I knew they would work perfectly in my room, too!  

What You Need: For my space, I used (one) string of 100 white "twinkle" lights.  Depending on how big of an area you have in your room will determine how many lights you will need.  

Visually eyeball your space and imagine how you'd like your twinkle lights to drape/hang. Crisscrossed? I tend to go this route as it evenly distributes the light across a space. Also think of location.  Where exactly would you like to hang them? In the corner of your room? Over your entire space? If you need inspiration, always consult Pinterest for ideas!  



Accessorize.  Don't stop there. Add a layer of balloons to your lights! I was taken with these balloons I had purchased from Curious Workshop in Hermosa Beach, because of the hysterical phrases printed on each one balloon.  Some of them read: "Douchebag" ..... "Cheers, Bitches!" etc.  I originally bought them for my BBQ, which ended up being a hit with my friends, roommates and all that came to the party. But when it ended, the balloons were still charming as ever but sadly sitting on the ground needing another purpose.  Luckily my little "design sidekick" chimed in and gave me the idea to hang them on the lights in my room. And I just have to say: they make me so darn HAPPY. 

Tips. All you need is scotch tape to complete the job.   

Evenly distribute each balloon along the strand of lights, so they have an even amount of space between each other!

Voila - you've got a a festive party atmosphere in your space!


Say "Yes" to Unconventional. Seriously, don't be afraid to use unconventional items like twinkle lights and balloons in your space.  Sure, balloons are generally used to decorate Christmas trees or outdoor spaces.  But they can light up your room and give it a festive look.  Besides, if you're enjoying it, who cares if it's outside of the "norm"? 

Look out for more interior decor posts that will hopefully inspire your space to become more fun and enjoyable.  It's my intention for you to have a room to increase your level of happiness every time you come home.  

As always, let me know your thoughts or if you have questions.  You can leave it below or email me at amanda@thebeachonista.com!  

Until next time....xxx

Love,
Amanda
Your Beachonista   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...