Private SUP Lessons | Weekly SUP Class Tues. + Sat. AM | SUP Rentals Available 7 Days/Week

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Follow the Journey of a Shoe Designer: Week Two

Hey Fashionista! It's time for "Follow the Journey of a Shoe Designer: Week Two!" I'm thrilled to have our Shoe Designer bring us behind the scenes to show us an exclusive look into the development of her own shoe line.  If you missed last week's "Follow the Journey of a Shoe Designer: Week One" just click on the title to read it now.  Or if you want to know what this series is all about, be sure to check out my first post "Follow the Journey of a Shoe Designer" here!  Enjoy!

Hey Fashionista!
I bet you're wondering what you're looking at, huh?
Haha, well here is a material board full of swatches.
Some may know this term and others may not. So, I'll explain.
A "Swatch" is a sample of fabric most designers (like, shoe designers, interior designers, fashion designers, etc.) deal with on a regular basis because they're designing something involving fabric.

The process of obtaining these materials (that we call "swatches") varies by industry.
For a Shoe Designer, the process involves the manufacturer and myself. 
I communicate with a particular person from the factory (keep in mind, "Factory" and "Manufacturer" are the same thing! :) asking them to shop at their local material market in China for new swatches. 
He or she sends me a photo and if it's a good match to what I need, then we use it!
The swatch process can be done before creating a shoe prototype or after. It just depends.
The swatches (pictured above!) will be used on several of my shoes.
But I can't tell you which...you'll have to wait and be SURPRISED!
Do you have any questions thus far? Feel free to ask me in the comments section below. Or you can stop by and say hi! Amanda and I love those too. ;)

So what did ya think, Fashionista? If you liked "Follow the Journey of a Shoe Designer: Week Two" let us know in the comment box below! Thank you for reading and stay tuned for next week!

Love,
Your Fashion Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...