Private SUP Lessons | Weekly SUP Class Tues. + Sat. AM | SUP Rentals Available 7 Days/Week

Monday, January 17, 2011

New Year, New Style...Here's How

Photo Courtesy of CorbisImage.com

Happy New Year, Fashionista!  So, we're a couple weeks into 2011 and there's no time like the present to assess your style and get you where you want to be! Stylish, right?  Thought so. ;)

BJonesStyle.wordpress.com
Well, I cracked open my closet yesterday to reassess my clothes.  To my surprise, I found dresses that I haven't worn in, gosh, 2 years I think?  I know! Totally going against my rules, however, I found a hidden reason why these items slipped through my purging radar.  See if any of these excuses hold you back....

#1. The dress was RED (my favorite color).
#2. I spent quite a bit of money on it. 
#3. I thought it still fit the same way it did 2 years ago. 
#4. I thought it would be as stylish as it was when I wore it (2 years ago).

AHA! My experience paints the perfect picture of style-sabatoge!  Those silly little excuses clutter our mind, which clouds are judgment and dampers our style.  So here's what I did to get past it to make room for a new style. TRY IT ON!!! Yep, yep, yep!  Try that sucker on.  When I tried my dress(es) on I found two of the four dresses were outdated and unflattering.  The length was akward, the bubble hem made my bottom half look - shall we say "fluffy."  So what did I do? Realized my reasons were outdated and I gave it to charity!


Reassess your role in life and create shopping priorities. This is the next most important thing you can do to build a new style for yourself because knowing what's a priority will save you money and time.  For me, I work from home and live on a mountain in the suburbs, newly married, and go out occasionally with my husband.  My priorities for clothing are: casual-stylish.  Translation: Jeans, nice casual tops, leggings, flats, casual heels, casual dresses (for date nights), and a few fancy dresses (for husband's work parties).  Before I got married and moved from the city to the 'burbs, my priority list looked a little different.  I need professional attire.  Trousers, blazers, blouses, fancy heels, more accessories- instead of jeans, casual tops and flats.  So, make sure you reassess your lifestyle and clothing priorities if you've endured a lifestyle change.

Take note of how things fit your figure.  You know your body shape more than anyone else does because you live with it every second of the day.  Let's be honest, knowing when things fit well and not so well, makes us concentrate more on the negative side of our shape, right?  What if we take that negative side and investigate it?  For instance, my negative thoughts about jeans are: "I hate how my figure looks in low-rise jeans with embellished back pockets and straight leg. My a$$ and hips look huge!" Ouch.  Sounds like I take clothing mis-fits personal, huh? Guess what, it's NOT personal.

Let's get around that shall we? Okay.  A better way to reframe this scenario is to have an objective point of view.  This will keep your body out of it and focus in on the type of clothes that will fit your shape.  Let's take my negative comment about jeans and flip it to an objective point of view: "Alright, these pants aren't flattering me in the best way possible.  If a straight leg, embellished back pocket, and low rise puts more emphasis on my larger area, maybe I can find a pair of jeans with less embellishment, a wider leg and higher rise." 

Just because an article of clothing doesn't fit you, doesn't mean your shape is flawed, it's the clothes! Move on and find what fits!

Figure out your shopping budget.  In a perfect world I could walk into my favorite store (LOFT, WHBM to name a few) purchase anything and everything I wanted. Then leave with dozens of bags in each hand, with a new outfit on and a sales clerk trailing behind me with more bags!  Yes, I have this fantasy all the time.  One day I'll be there, but for now we've gotta be --again, more objective...

Soooo, let me present a little exercise for you to use.  Grab a glass of wine and bust out your check register (and laptop). 

Ask yourself:

(A) How much do I spend on bills, recreation, food, savings, etc a month? 

(B) How much do I have left over after I've paid everything?

Take a do-able portion out of the money that is left over and use it JUST FOR SHOPPING.  Even if it's $15.  (You can buy a cute top/jewelry even shorts for that amount!) Use it or put it in a shoe box to save up for your ultimate purchase, like a new pair of heels.  The key is to get real with your spending and financial picture so you can use it to your shopping advantage.

Take these pillars of information to reinvent the New Year with New Style! Make sure you purge the old, assess your clothing priorities, analyze your figure's strengths and weaknesses and carve out a do-able amount of money for shopping.  Oh, and get to it, girl! Here's to a New Year, New Style Fashionista! 

Love,
Your Fashion Coach
Amanda

P.S. If you need a Fashion Coach to help you get started, click here--> to reserve a FREE consultation with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...